Friday, September 11, 2009

A Cultural Approach to Male-Female Miscommunication (Daniel Maltz and Ruth Borker)

I don't think I ever relly thought about the reasons for the miscommunication between men and women. I just figured men didn't listen and women always nag. But Maltz and Borker researched further into the subject and found that cross-sex communication and cross-ethnic communication. Men and females do not play the same role in communication. The research gathered suggessts that female play a larger role in communication while the males play a very small role. The miscommunication occurs with the "women listens more than the men are agreeing". The simplistic answers from both sexes is where the confusion takes place. Women's idea of a nod of the head or a small murmur means " I am lisenting, continue" and men do the same and it means "I agree with you/that". Women often think when a man murmurs or doesn't respond, means that he is not listening. That's what I think.

Miscommunication can be from a lot of things. Who knew that men and women thought about communication differently. I didn't thats for sure. I found this reading very interesting and insightful. I never thought about miscommunication between men and women this way.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job. Please number your blogs consecutively. The one above would be #4. Next week we'll be on 5&6.

    ReplyDelete